Monday 13 January 2014

Entry #11: The Double Ended Sward

The past two days have not been the greatest for myself. All though this has happened to me before, I will not let it get to me. What has happened has occurred for a reason, I have moved on onto something better.

Today's discussion is on social media and why it can be used as a double ended sward for everyone, and not just for the young people.

Social Media: The Double Ended Sward.

Facebook, Twitter, Instigram and many other are among the many social media media websites people are using today. What they do not know is that once something is posted, it stays on the site forever, even if they remove it from their home page or their wall on the site. This is the one side that people do not see in social media. What people post on their pages can be used against them, like for example, you are trying to find a part-time job and are trolling people on Facebook and making them upset. The employers are going into Google and typing in your name to see what comes up. For instance, they Google your name and see pictures of the person drinking and using recreational drugs, that can be a big reason why they do not call you back in for the final interview or to say you have gotten the position.

The other dark side to social media is even if you post something positive and someone tries to begin an argument, profanity and threats are exchanged between parties. This is another end to that sward, you cannot win when you are on social media, you can never win, unless you are ready enough to back away and leave it the way it is.

My Final Thought:
This is the 'Damned if I Do and Damned if I don't' principle. You are damned if you posted something positive and your are damned if you do not do anything about it or you escalate it. My best advice to the people on social media, including myself would me: watch what you are posting, because you never know what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment