Tuesday 3 December 2013

Entry #5: Stress: A student’s Pain or Drive


Stress: A student’s Pain or Drive

Stress is one of the most common found things in a student, in the workplace, and in everyday life. As a student, I have been to both educational institutions, I mean of course University (a former Political Science student) and College (a current and alumnus of Conestoga College) I have seen my strengths and weaknesses. When I attended college, when I was 18 years of age, I was very excited, because I was going to get an average of seventy-five percent (75%) to head into university to study one of my favorite topics, politics and political science. As I was achieving and working hard towards that average, I had the biggest drive to get into Laurier. I did my research, and I looked at the program itself and it just spoke to me as an interest. A little history on my interest in politics and public transit, when I was eleven (11) or twelve (12) years of age I turned on the television to CTV’s question period, and I watched the late Jack Layton give a speech to the House of Commons on why Canadian’s need some kind of break (unfortunately I cannot remember what the speech was for, but anyways) he really spoke to me, because, I am a kind of guy who wants everyone to be happy and to get a break, now since Layton’s passing, I watched one of Justin Trudeau advertisements on why he is focusing on the middle class rather than the political class. He also spoke to me, since then I have been a Liberal-NDP hybrid supporter, but I am not a Conservative. To Public transit now, I have been taking Kitchener-Waterloo’s public transit (called Grand River Transit or short form is GRT) since grade 9, I have seen improvements and reductions, and I do not believe I will ever get m license because of this service.
            Back to stress now, during my winter term in 2011-2012 year at Conestoga, I turned 19 and bought two (yes 2) bottles of Jack Daniel’s whiskey, I loved it, then my dad mentioned I should go and try some cherry whiskey and cherry brandy, I enjoyed that as well, since then I drank causally, not everyday. Of course when I graduated I was very emotional, mostly angry, I am not too sure why, but the smallest things would set me off, since then, I have much more control over my anger, and I do not do ridiculous actions. When I got to university, during the exam period, the stress got to me, and I went and bought three (3) bottles of Smirnoff flavored vodka, two bottles were gone within 2 weeks because I was drinking it everyday, every morning, lunch, supper, even when I did not want to drink, I would drink it. Then one morning, I caught myself drinking straight vodka, and my stomach and my brain told me “I have problem.” I have been sober for 11 months. Since that time I have turned my attention away from alcohol and more into hockey and politics and my future plans in Waterloo region.  
      The point of me revealing my dark past is that, we are all human, we make mistakes, this mistake taught me that even when you have nothing and your at rock bottom, just find that little spark in your heart and in your mind, you can break free of your addiction and your problem. They belong behind you, not in front of you.

1 comment: