Saturday 28 December 2013

Entry #8: Looking forward to the New Year




As 2013 comes to a close, we should look at what has happened this past year and begin 2014 as a new leaf. One of the major stories in 2013 is the death of Nelson Mandela and how much he has changed South Africa. During the time of war, Mandela stood up the government and told them to stop shooting and killing innocent people for doing nothing. By him doing this, they saw what he was giving to the people of South Africa, and this was not acceptable, so Mandela was put in jail for 27 years. Here is the last part of the speech in which he said that landed him in jail

“During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.” ~ Nelson Mandela

27 years later, the people of South Africa wanted Mandela freed from jail because they saw what he was trying to do, Mandela was trying to change the South African governments ideals. After the fall of the current government, Mandela ran for the presidency of South Africa and won the election. 

Mandela passed away December 5, 2013 of health related illness; he will be missed by the world.

As we look towards the New Year, we should reflect on what we have done this year, and see what we can change/improve on ourselves, but do not make it a huge change, just a small change. I will also be taking a Career Options course (Career Options II) to see what options I have so I can run for Ward Councilor for the City of Kitchener. I am very curious on what you all want to as a career or have as a career.


1 comment:

  1. Dude how did u put all of this point of veiw together? I wanna do the same as u did

    ReplyDelete